Friday, June 25, 2010

NIAS #3 Day 10. carnival!


Day 10, 25th June 2010 (Friday)

  •          Jogging and Basketball with Adelina, Mulina, Dirikan, Mani, Liya, Xinying
  •          Breakfast
  •          Nap
  •          Library
  •          Lunch
  •          Little issue with Matthew
  •          Carnival Preparation
  •          Carnival
  •          Painting of Garage
  •          Dinner
  •          Debrief
  •          Interaction with Children
  •          Guitar and songs with the older kids and talking to Ibu


Today’s a pretty much long and amazing day, right from the beginning to the end.

Jogging with the girls was an experience of a lifetime! We had to go down the slope leading up to the home in complete darkness and all I could rely on is the brief shadow in front of me and xinying (who I was holding hands with haha) super scary. We ran along the road as well in darkness and occasionally vehicles that passed by would blind us with their headlights.

Went back to the school I taught in last year. Suddenly all the memories came back, English lessons with loi and social classes with aileen and nigel. Omg. And dance classes and pe lessons. Super fun can!

Played bball using two volleyballs in the dark until the sky turned brighter then did we started playing half court games. I teamed with dirikan, adelina and liya! In the end our scores were the same I think. Hehhhh. Oh yes, we played in the rain (: Jogged back to the home after that (actually more like running cos they jog super fast!) and climbed up that same slope. Omg super tiring.

Back in the dorm, the 3 of us newspapered our shoes and went for a good bath. Ate breakfast and drank hot milo. Super shiok I tell you! 

We made some progress in the library today (: I really hope we can finish them by tomorrow. Wooots.

Carnival prep was in a big mess because aileen had to accompany matthew to the hospital. Talking about matthew, he was super scary because he just suddenly felt so uncomfortable and terrible that ibu decided to send him to the hospital for a drip. We had to constantly fan him to allow his body to cool down. And he kept having muscle cramps! Roars. In the end matthew had three packets worth of drip and apparently he merely suffered from electrolyte imbalance and heat exhaustion. Seriously, super scary.

Carnival prep was pretty okay thanks to the team who took initiative to do things (: we managed to sort everything out and so we managed to start at 3pm (: I went to help lim with the balloon darts stall for about an hour then helped out with the “teh” game subsequently (which made my eyes cross because I had to spot those points where they made contact with the path :X) The only bad thing about the carnival was that there wasn’t a finale, which really sucks because last year we had so much fun during tug of war. Sigh. but i guess, we could only blame the weather :/

After carnival, we went back to the room to rest. After a while, I decided to join mich zhigang shaggy and ziai at the garage (: but I was stopped by DJ to help her with her scanner -___- omg. But I managed to catch the little boys playing soccer so it wasn’t that bad.

Took over mich for the painting after that (: painting was loads of fun :D like hundred times more interesting than doing the library. And I could really feel the sense of achievement seeing those red pillars (: hahaha. Awesome ttm. Plus the company was great too and so we had some crazy fun  talking about many random things (: wooooooots! 



matthew's back!

getting our hands dirty

our painting stuff!

check out our red pillars!




Missed devotion cos of carnival debrief. After bathing I decided to be just a little more sociable and hung out outside our dorm (: was playing with jooni and talking to liyanah and clement about ocip this year and last and how this year it felt like we didn’t do much. A little bit emo about that :( but I guess we expected a lot from ourselves, especially with regards to the construction and farming and hence we didn’t have much time for other things. Well I guess this year’s OCIP is more like an OCIP as compared to last year’s.

Merfon and akhimi came along after that as well, together with changtai jasmine and Hansel. Tried to get merfon to sing and play the guitar for us but he became really emo after that and his facial expressions totally changed from the very playful look to the very seriously emo look. After that, Hansel tried to explain his behavior, but i'm not too sure what really made him upset.

The rest of the night was spent listening to the older boys plus mega and mantha sing, and talking to ibu sintha together with alex and chris. I was telling her how I thought God is the one who brought me to this place, such that the children may be a blessing to me. I told her how much I was blessed, and how amazing I thought God’s love was. She then told me about how she thinks that rather than someone who has a big heart and is here to help, she sees herself as God’s tool in assisting pastor Michael in his missionary ways. (: andden she was saying how much she has went through, all the difficulties overcame  and the growth that she experienced as well. like how Tomorrow’s Hope is really God’s gift and how their 3 storey building which held 128 children only experienced cracks in the building while the bible college next door which was newly built two months ago collapsed totally. She told me how really amazing it was for the building to remain standing after all those earthquakes, how the kids escaped unscathed from all those horrors.

Asked her about akhimi as well, andden she was telling me how akhimi is super guai1 and how they haven’t used a rotan on him for 3 years. She told me the kids really respect him as an abang (which really explains why he just told the other children in the library to leave the place nicely after I asked him for his help and all the kids just left in ten seconds OMG), and how she feels warm and touched inside whenever akhimi shows his concern to ibu whenever he sees her working hard in the kitchen etc. Not only that, sometimes he’ll look for ibu and ask her to call back to his uncle’s place to check whether his older sister is alright, or call the pastor in their church in their village to check on the uncle and their family.

and so, that's akhimi, my boy :) haha. always the very sweet person he really is. ibu talked about other kids too, like toloni, merfon and hendrikrus, and each of them have their own stories to tell. it's really nice listening to their stories and it really brings me closer to them each time. i can only say, thank God for pastor and ibu, and thank God for bringing me here to experience all these! :D



clement the irritant haha

mich the intellect




+ guaishou's! :D

No comments: