Such a tiring day! Woke up early in the morning to catch the bus to cuchi tunnels, and grab breakfast along the way. Then we set off for a two hour ride to the tunnels, with a toilet stop at some handicraft shop.
At the tunnels, we were briefed on the Vietnam war and watched this super propaganda video on the war created in the 1960s! Basically it was just talking about the "evil" things the "americans" did, and the content was basically pretty questionable haha. But then again, its a communist country after all. Haha.
After the video, we went around looking at some of the viet congs created, like secret entrances, air vents, booby traps etc. which I have to admit was pretty impressive! V simple solutions to the American's very complex weaponry and warfare. Hmmm.
Had a short walk in the tunnels which was pretty claustrophobic, but nothing too scary. Of cos its definitely made much nicer for tourists like us, but I guess I was expecting worse haha.
Had a few more stops here and there andden went back to the bus after buying some pins. The bus dropped us off at the war remnants museum in saigon two hours later.
Decided to have our lunch at the Korean restaurant opposite, and omg the customer service was a little too impressive haha. We had a waiter serving every two people, but prob because there wasn't anyone else except two other tourists o.O haha. They even helped bbq our meat! OMG.
But the meal was really good and cheap! Less than 7 bucks for the set. Really can live like a king LOL. Plus there was awesome WiFi in the restaurant too heehee.
Went to the museum after, and the whole place screamed of anti American sentiments haha. Really had to take everything with a pinch of sodium chloride. Grace even pointed out that for the same photo, she saw a totally different caption in some other museum. hahaha. OMG totally.
But it was quite a sight and quite interesting to understand their perspectives on the Vietnam war. I think Pam brought up a great point - while everyone agrees on the atrocities that had been committed by the Americans then, by emphasizing too much on it really just makes people less sympathetic. When its so overdone we end up not being convinced ourselves. Cos we all know that there's the flip side of the same coin.
But I would definitely want to find out the American version of the war :)
We got chased out of the place eventually so we headed to pham ngu lao again to exchange more money andden went straight to saigon sq to check out the cheap stuff haha. walked for an hour or so and found a couple of things I wanted to get! But decided to save it for tmr instead once I have more insights to what is available in the nearby ben thanh market HEEHEE.
Headed to ben thanh after and found a place for some Vietnamese cuisine. I ate my pho again, this time with fresh coconut juice! Literally mission accomplished! Haha wanted to drink it ever since I saw people drinking it the first day haha.
After the meal we walked over to Ben thanh, only to realise that it has been closed since 7! So decided to head to pham ngu lao to get our tailored stuff, and turned out that my pants were pretty badly done so I'd have to come back tmr noon roars. the dresses were much better alr, though could have been better but I can't be bothered alr. So tiring!!
So we visited the bag shops andden went back to the hotel to rest.
At the tunnels, we were briefed on the Vietnam war and watched this super propaganda video on the war created in the 1960s! Basically it was just talking about the "evil" things the "americans" did, and the content was basically pretty questionable haha. But then again, its a communist country after all. Haha.
After the video, we went around looking at some of the viet congs created, like secret entrances, air vents, booby traps etc. which I have to admit was pretty impressive! V simple solutions to the American's very complex weaponry and warfare. Hmmm.
Had a short walk in the tunnels which was pretty claustrophobic, but nothing too scary. Of cos its definitely made much nicer for tourists like us, but I guess I was expecting worse haha.
Had a few more stops here and there andden went back to the bus after buying some pins. The bus dropped us off at the war remnants museum in saigon two hours later.
Decided to have our lunch at the Korean restaurant opposite, and omg the customer service was a little too impressive haha. We had a waiter serving every two people, but prob because there wasn't anyone else except two other tourists o.O haha. They even helped bbq our meat! OMG.
But the meal was really good and cheap! Less than 7 bucks for the set. Really can live like a king LOL. Plus there was awesome WiFi in the restaurant too heehee.
Went to the museum after, and the whole place screamed of anti American sentiments haha. Really had to take everything with a pinch of sodium chloride. Grace even pointed out that for the same photo, she saw a totally different caption in some other museum. hahaha. OMG totally.
But it was quite a sight and quite interesting to understand their perspectives on the Vietnam war. I think Pam brought up a great point - while everyone agrees on the atrocities that had been committed by the Americans then, by emphasizing too much on it really just makes people less sympathetic. When its so overdone we end up not being convinced ourselves. Cos we all know that there's the flip side of the same coin.
But I would definitely want to find out the American version of the war :)
We got chased out of the place eventually so we headed to pham ngu lao again to exchange more money andden went straight to saigon sq to check out the cheap stuff haha. walked for an hour or so and found a couple of things I wanted to get! But decided to save it for tmr instead once I have more insights to what is available in the nearby ben thanh market HEEHEE.
Headed to ben thanh after and found a place for some Vietnamese cuisine. I ate my pho again, this time with fresh coconut juice! Literally mission accomplished! Haha wanted to drink it ever since I saw people drinking it the first day haha.
After the meal we walked over to Ben thanh, only to realise that it has been closed since 7! So decided to head to pham ngu lao to get our tailored stuff, and turned out that my pants were pretty badly done so I'd have to come back tmr noon roars. the dresses were much better alr, though could have been better but I can't be bothered alr. So tiring!!
So we visited the bag shops andden went back to the hotel to rest.
+ guaishou's! :D
No comments:
Post a Comment